Register    Login    Gallery  Gallery  Forum    Search    FAQ

Post subject: Re: Post processing
 Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 pm 

Hi all, I swear by picasa 3 for finding and organizing my photos before I 'open with' elements photoshop 7 which has a great raw converter.
I've tried Serif photoplus X2 (i couldn't get it to open raw files) and now have X3 which, although it opens raw files I don't find as much control as the adobe 7 and it takes ages processing.
Im glad I moved to Canon after using Olympus for years mainly due to the 'digital photo professional' bundled software with the Canon as opposed to the frustratingly long processing times of the Olympus Master 2 software- I still love the camera (e410) for it's sharp and detailed shots and small size,but just wish the software was a bit better!
I've been surprised with how much good freeware editing suites are around like The Gimp,ashampoo photo commander 6, and Corel paint shop pro X -which I got free with a memory card! (such a shame it doesn't support raw as it's a great suite)
I shoot mostly in Raw now and elements 7 for value and the sheer ease of use wins hands down in my book!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:39 pm 

As a Nikon photographer I use Nikon Capture NX2 to convert and process my raw files where I also save a tiff version which is then further processed if necessary in CS2 - final sizing and sharpening with the high pass filter for web pics is also done in CS2. I find it can be useful to use 2 different applications which make similar alterations but in different ways.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:45 pm 

Many years ago I used Paint shop pro. I found the clarify tool could be handy so long as it wasn't overused to destroy atmospheric mist. Best of all (and Photoshop should have copied it by now), is (or was) the clone tool which instead of a circular cursor could be shaped several ways including rectangles and 45 degree angles in different directions. It doesn't seem like much as written here but it speeds up one's workflow and makes for better accuracy at lower magnifications thus saving further time.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:14 am 

Paint Shop Pro X2 here.
Seems to do all I want, but I must confess layering & a couple other features has me tossed.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:36 pm 

I use Adobe Lightroom 2.4 and Photoshop Elements 6.0. About 95% of the work is done in Lightroom, exported to Photoshop to sharpen, clone bad spots, resize and save the file. Lightroom is based on a program I used several years ago that Adobe liked and bought out. It has tools that allow amazingly simple and powerful adjustments to exposure.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 am 
Site Admin

[quote="PhotoSteve"]I use Adobe Lightroom 2.4 and Photoshop Elements 6.0. About 95% of the work is done in Lightroom, exported to Photoshop to sharpen, clone bad spots, resize and save the file. Lightroom is based on a program I used several years ago that Adobe liked and bought out. It has tools that allow amazingly simple and powerful adjustments to exposure.[/quote]

lol that wouldn't be somthing that Macromedia originally created would it?

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 pm 

[quote="Helkoryo"]Hi guys I am jsut wondering which software you prefer for any post processing, a very good friend of mine "Els" recommended I use photofilre and I have to say I really love it. Very straight forward to use, very user friendly and I have always been really pleased with the results[/quote]

HI Helen. I have been using the free downloadable PhotoFiltre for a long time. I love the fact that the most current version has layers and other features that were missing in the original. One quirk is that you have to be careful when you save your processed image - if you have used a layer (ie: text for inserting a copyright notice) the saved image will default to a PF file rather than a jpeg. For RAW, I work the image up in Lightroom then refine it in PhotoFiltre as needed (not always needed). Another feature that I find to be unique and very useful is the ability to use the scroll wheel to enlarge the image to the point that each pixel is visible, and then to use the paint or fill functions to remove unwanted elements such as power lines. I used it in post-processing the Voodoo fighter and the bush plane that are on my gallery. In each case I removed the pylon that supports them in front of the Aviation Museum. PhotoFiltre also has a free portable version that I have stored on a USB flash stick - I can load images on the USB device and edit them wherever.

Regards, Peter

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:03 am 

[quote="Helkoryo"]Hi guys I am jsut wondering which software you prefer for any post processing, a very good friend of mine "Els" recommended I use photofilre and I have to say I really love it. Very straight forward to use, very user friendly and I have always been really pleased with the results[/quote]

Hi again. I don't presuppose that you need this, but thought i would send it anyway - a link to some interesting and useful PhotoFiltre tutorials: http://photofiltre.free.fr/tutorials_en.htm